I am a cookbook junkie. I love reading them and finding fun new recipes and new twists on old ones. For my birthday my sister Donna gave me SHEET PAN SUPPERS by Molly Gilbert. A new twist on one pot meals using sheet pans. I’m in! Not only do the recipes look great but it’s a fun read too. I couldn’t wait to try something. I decided on the Chicken Parmesan since I already had all the ingredients on hand. It’s a favorite in our house. In line with New Year’s Resolutions, I decided to add chopped summer squash, zucchini and red bell pepper lightly seasoned to the side in lieu of cooking pasta or adding bread.
I popped it into a preheated 400 degree oven. Baked it for about 15 minutes then removed the pan from the oven and added the finishing touches. Marinara, provolone and parmesan cheese.
After about 10 more minutes out came dinner. It was easy, healthy and delicious! All in one pan. Now that’s my kind of meal!!
Yield: 4 to 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40-45 minutes
Olive oil cooking spray
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried oregano
2 TBS sweet or smoked paprika
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or cutlets each about 1/2 inch thick
1 jar (24 ounce) marinara sauce (Molly love's Rao's)
6 to 8 slices of provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the upper third. Generously mist a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together the panko, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, 1/2 tsp of salt, and the pepper in a large bowl to combine. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and the pepper. In a third shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs.
- Dip each chicken cutlet first in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, then in the eggs, and finally in the panko mixture, patting to coat thoroughly on both sides. Place the breaded chicken cutlets on the prepared pan. Mist the chicken with the olive oil cooking spray to lightly coat.
- Bake the chicken until the panko has browned and the cutlets are almost entirely cooked through about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Top each chicken cutlet with about 1/2 cup marinara sauce and the provolone and parmesan. Return to the oven.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, an additional 10 minutes or so.
- Serve hot