Last weekend we dropped Emily off to start her sophomore year of college. This year she is in a “student housing” apartment with 3 roommates. It’s pretty sweet…furnished, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, common living room and common kitchen with lots of perks. Lucky girl! Along with this new apartment life comes planning and fixing your own meals. Emily disliked dorm food. She is excited about the prospect of fixing her own healthy meals.
With that in mind I bought her two of my favorite, go to cookbooks. Each filled with delicious healthy recipes.
What she will soon realize is that her life is very busy. Planning, shopping and preparing meals isn’t always as easy or fun as it may seem. So I, being the great mom I am, decided to start a new category on the blog called “College Cuisine”. Here I will be posting some of Emily’s favorite recipes along with recipes I find that are easy, quick and healthy.
Today I will post one of our family favorites. This recipe is a combination of Brad’s mom’s “Slumgulliam” recipe and my mom’s “Fried Garbage”. Because I’m combining the two recipes there are options for a couple of the steps. Either option works.
Pictured below are your basic ingredients.
I choose the option of adding the macaroni uncooked with the meat and onions. It’s easier and I don’t have the extra pot to clean. I also added shredded carrots. Quick, simple and delicious!
The beauty of this recipe is it makes a lot of leftovers. Refrigerate them for the next day or put some in meal size freezer containers and pop them in the freezer. On those days you don’t have time to cook or don’t want to you can take one out of the freezer, microwave it until hot and voila! Dinner.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
1 lb lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
1 onion diced
1 bell pepper diced any color
1 cup dry elbow macaroni
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
1 14 oz can red kidney beans
optional 1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions. Option 2 add uncooked macaroni with meat and onions. Add 1 cup of water with tomato sauce if you choose this option.
- Add ground turkey/beef and onions to large saute pan
- Cook on medium heat until meat is browned
- Add bell pepper, macaroni, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce. (Worcestershire Sauce if adding)
- Cover pan and simmer 25 minutes. (If sauce is getting thick add a little water)
- Stir in kidney beans cook additional 5 minutes until beans are heated through.
* Don't be afraid to add your favorite vegetables too. Zucchini or shredded carrots work great.
Bubby Frank and Grandma Spencer